Saturday, November 13

Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy and Paul Verlaine

I think that it is almost impossible not to be moved when listening to this song and I will always listen to it from time to time. Debussy did it to express Verlaine's poem:
Clair de lune
Votre âme est un paysage choisi Que vont charmant masques et bergamasques Jouant du luth et dansant et quasi Tristes sous leurs déguisements fantasques.
Tout en chantant sur le mode mineur L'amour vainqueur et la vie opportune, Ils n'ont pas l'air de croire à leur bonheur Et leur chanson se mêle au clair de lune,
Au calme clair de lune triste et beau, Qui fait rêver les oiseaux dans les arbres Et sangloter d'extase les jets d'eau, Les grands jets d'eau sveltes parmi les marbres.
From Fêtes galantes (1869)
Moonlight
Your soul is like a landscape fantasy, Where masks and Bergamasks, in charming wise, Strum lutes and dance, just a bit sad to be Hidden beneath their fanciful disguise.
Singing in minor mode of life's largesse And all-victorious love, they yet seem quite Reluctant to believe their happiness, And their song mingles with the pale moonlight,
The calm, pale moonlight, whose sad beauty, beaming, Sets the birds softly dreaming in the trees, And makes the marbled fountains, gushing, streaming-- Slender jet-fountains--sob their ecstasies.
When an artist can touch many people it's like s/he was capable of expressing one aspect of human condition.
(Click at the video for one second to "see" each note of the music.)

4 comments:

Joey M. said...

When you picture Clair de Lune in your mind, it sort of materializes as the ballerina Anna Pavlova floating across a stage. It's beautiful!

Ana said...

Never thought about that.
I close my eyes and just listen experiencing the emotions.
At 2.00scds it changes in such a great way...
I guess what we have in common is that it speaks to imagination.

Sandy's witterings said...

I'm a distinctly moderate piano player. 2 years lessons 30 years ago but I still have the odd tinkle from time to time - It's very satisfying even if nobody else thinks so. I tried Clair de Lune and for the first few bars it sounds so good - just like the real thing. But once it's lured you in it rapidly decends into the kind of black music my fat fingers were not meant for.
Clair de Lune - fiendish but lovely.

Ana said...

I envy you! I wish I could play piano. I would do my best but just being a little good would make me happy.
Yes, fiendish but lovely.
:)