Monday, August 16

Pentimento by Lillian Hellman and the movie Julia

This is how Lillian Hellman starts her novel Pentimento, that was inspiration for the movie "Julia", 1977:
"Old paint on canvas, as it ages, sometimws becomes trasparent. When that happens it is possible, in some pictures, to see the original lines: a tree will show through a woman's dress, a child manes way for a dog, a large boat is no longer on an open sea. That is called pentimento because the painter "repented," changed his mind. Perhaps it would be as well to say the old conception, replaced by a later choice, is a way of seeing and then seeing again.
That is all I mean about the people in this book. The paint has aged now and I wanted to see what was there for once, what is there for now."
The movie starts with this words being said by Jane Fond who is Lillian. I like it very much. I will publish an example of pentimento on a canvas tomorrow.

8 comments:

Radagast said...

Hey. Long time, no hear - I thought I'd drop by and say "hello!".

Matt

Ana said...

Yay!
I just got up and it's great to receive your "hello".
I always fell happy when you drop bay.
Love,
Ana

Radagast said...

Ah, well - my timing's not always perfect, but I do my best! How're things, anyway?

Matt

Ana said...

Normal... lol
Do you know this radio?
http://www.radioparadise.com/flash_player.php
I'm listening to it lately and I'm enjoying.
They play different stuffs and make it in a very interesting way.

Mar Nwe Aye said...

I watched this Julia(1977) tonight.
I couldn't describe how much i liked this movie.When I was a teen, I read a novel named Julia which was translated from this movie. Obviously, It was in my Language, Burmese and I was so much inspired by that novel. And now I saw this post ....I don't even know whom I have to thank for.
Bless you, Ana!
Nice to know that we have got such a wonderful thing in common.
Fondly,

Mar( Manchester )

Ana said...

I didn't know that a novel was written based on the movie.
That's interesting.
I'll look for it.

Mar Nwe Aye said...

No, Ana !
U can't find the book named Julia in English. Coz the Burmese author did the translation from the movie.
He watched the movie for 5 times before doing the translation.Then he wrote it and named Julia. Perhaps he also translated from the book, Pentimento ( 1973). I don't remember. Interesting, huh? Lol

Ana said...

Yes. It's interesting. Maybe he translated the book.
:)