Monday, November 28

Help! I need to change my dog's diet to homemade. Anyone already did that?






I'm feeling stupid and blaming myself for giving nothing more than processed food to my dog as the vet who was her owner told me to do ten and a half years ago. I bought the most expensive and was sure that it was the best I could do for her.
Wrong! She is with a liver problem and this are the scary numbers:


ALT = 282,00 > normal range of 5.00 - 82,00 (UI/L)
Alkaline phosphatase = 704,00 > normal range 20,00 to 150,00 (UI/L)

The ultrasound test is not better and the worse is that she has a severe hepatomegaly (liver gets larger).

She is fine and asymptomatic and is only sleeping more profoundly and for more time. She is not coming quickly as she used to do.
But she is already an old lady so I believe that changes will be happening and it is normal.
I have started to change her diet by adding rice to the processed food and I'm planning to little by little take stop giving her the poison that Royal Canin is producing and we pay crazy amount of money.
I talked to a biologist that lives next to me and she told me that these processed foods are poisons.
I did some research and found some sites.
I just don't know what am I going to give her. I don't wanna go to any vet because I simply don't trust any and had a very bad experience with this one and two others that I described at this post.
I'm giving her a little bit of my own food.
Yesterday I did put the processed food without the rice and she didn't eat. She loves rice, always did and how I wish I had talked to my friend earlier but physicians are those we talk about health, isn't it?
Vets are receiving money to prescribe the processed food just like those human physicians receive from the labs.
I'll search and ask some advises to those who have animals but are smarter than me and give homemade food to their dogs.
I cannot take the $Royal Canin$ cold turkey because she'll have a serious diarrhea and even bleed as it happened once when she was fed with another of these processed food.
If you have any advise I would love to listen.

I just found this site and these the list of side effects of one of the ingredients of Dog's Processed Food:

"Although you won't see it on the label, since it is often added at the rendering plant and not by the manufacturer, ethoxyquin (EQ) is used to preserve most dry dog food. EQ is the most powerful of all preservatives and may be the most toxic.

Rendering plant workers that have been exposed to it denoted side effects similar to those of Agent Orange:

* A dramatic rise in liver or kidney damage
* Cancerous skin lesions
* Hair loss
* Blindness
* Leukemia
* Fetal abnormalities
* Chronic diarrhea

In animals, EQ has been linked to:

* Immune deficiency syndrome
* Spleen, stomach, and liver cancers
* And a host of allergies
Stop feeding your dog or cat with poison. Don't do what I did.
This is another great article:

"“We are seeing disease conditions in animals that we did not see years ago. Many of these may be traced to nutrition as the source…” Don E. Lundholm, DVM
Dr. Kollath, of the Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, headed a study done on animals. When young animals were fed cooked and processed foods they initially appeared to be healthy. However, as the animals reached adulthood, they began to age more quickly than normal and also developed chronic degenerative disease symptoms. (...)" (emphasis added)
Update: January, 2, 2012
I noticed that the first link has some items to sell. I didn't buy them and do no intend to and used this link because of the list of the diseases. I was nervous and didn't check if there were advertisements.
I don't buy any food to my dog now. It is all homemade.