Monday, October 24

Mariel Clayton's barbie world and Vermeer



















I came across with the work of Mariel Clayton at Stumpleupon and as I was enchanted by this recreation of Vermeer's "The Milkmaid", left picture, I searched her name.
She has an amazing collection of scenes she creates with Barbie dolls that expresses many situations of human life in a very deep way.
Her work is divided in labels and this is what she says about "Fables":
"The whole idea of Fairytales and Nursery Rhymes has always been fascinating to me because most of the stories and ditties that we know from youth have the darkest, most gruesome origins you can think of - and nothing that we would ever consider telling our children today.

Fairytales and Nursery Rhymes were not intended strictly for entertainment, they were meant to be harsh lessons in life that children could comprehend and learn from, morality stories and ways to remember important events.

I'm absolutely absorbed by some of the original versions, and the original messages - and I wanted to pictorialise and interpret them in my way. I would also recommend, for anyone interested - that you research further into the background and history of your childrens stories."
Barbie's world can have other meanings when used by creative and inquisitive people.